We are proud to announce the release of SQList v5.3.
Today we announce some great new features in our SQList 5.3 release, namely:
- Export SharePoint lists that exceed the list view threshold
- Export attachments, without binary data
- Duplicate site configurations and database connections
- Configurable timeout for SharePoint web service connections
- Various bug fixes
Let’s look at these changes in a bit more detail:
Export SharePoint lists that exceed the list view threshold
SharePoint limits the number of lookup columns retrieved in a single query; by default, this value is 8 in most versions of SharePoint, and 12 in SharePoint OnLine (see this article for the latest values); this value is called the lookup column threshold.
A list with 15 lookup columns, therefore, cannot be displayed in its entirety in the SharePoint UI, nor queried via the APIs, but only via a view which does not exceed the number of lookups defined by the threshold.
The threshold can be increased in Central Admin for SharePoint On-Prem versions, but it is not recommended. It is not possible to increase this threshold in SharePoint online in Office365.
Up to version 5.2, SQList could not export lists that exceeded the lookup column threshold, and the only work around it was to increase it.
In this version, we have changed the way SQList queries lists, so that it is no longer affected by the lookup threshold, making it possible to export without the need to adjust the threshold in Central Admin. A new setting is now available in the “Site Configuration”, where you can specify the value of the lookup threshold for the site, and SQList will adapt its queries to ensure it does not exceed that limit.
It is important to stress that all lookup values will be exported to the SQL table, not just those that are within the threshold.
Export of attachments, without binary data
This feature allows you to export a list attachments, without the binary content; this feature is useful if you only need to export the list of attachments and their URLs, but not the actual document. Storage space in the SQL database is saved, and synchronisations are faster as the documents will not be exported.
To disable exports of attachment binaries, de-select the “Attach. binary content” option in the list selection screen, when configuring a replication.
Quickly duplicate Site Configuration and Database connection
This feature allows you to quickly create a copy of a Site definition or a Database connection. Useful, for example, when you have to set up a replication that uses the same credentials as another replication.
To duplicate a site definition (or a database connection), click the “Duplicate” icon on the list; this will present you with a copy of that site definition that you can edit and save as a new one.
- Added SharePoint web service timeout to application configuration file: by default, the timeout for a request to a SharePoint web service is 120 seconds; if the connection is slow and there are large documents to download, this may not be enough. It is now possible to add a setting in the application configuration to set a longer timeout.
- Removed the option to run SQList in trial mode without a license: previous versions of SQList ran without a license in Trial mode; in this mode, SQList only exported the first 100 items of a list. We discovered that this was causing more confusion than anything else, and gave the impression that SQList would not work. This option has been removed, and we invite you to download a fully working temporary license from our website instead.
- Fixed minor bug in “Send event report” functionality: there was a minor bug, and it has been fixed.